Monday, May 25 was Memorial Day, so we didn't have a preparation day. President Ashton wanted us to be out talking to all the people who were home, so we did. We ended up visiting some people and offering service to our members. We had a great dinner with our members and had some BBQ, which was so good. We also enjoyed a lot of laughter, which is always the best. I just love being a missionary so much.
Monday night we drove to downtown Houston because Tuesday we were going to the Houston Texas Temple with all the sister missionaries in the mission. Our session was for 6:30 a.m., so instead of getting up really early on Tuesday, we decided to drive down the night before to get more sleep and have time to get ready the next day. We drove down with the sister missionaries from the Bay Brook Ward who live with us in our complex.
At about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday, May 26, I woke up due to all the thunder and lightning. I looked outside the window and the rain started to cause a flood that I could tell was only getting worse! I woke up all the other sisters and we were all so shocked by the rising water. The sisters' apartment we stayed with in Houston is located in the middle of downtown, so the flood was the worst where we were. Luckily, we were on the third floor, so their apartment didn't get any damage.
During the flood, cars were going under water and there was about 4 feet of standing water running down the whole street. We kept hearing people at about 2 a.m. needing help, so we left the apartment to assist them and make sure they were okay. Their first floor apartments were so flooded, it was really sad. We helped three main people that I remember. One wife and husband just about to have a baby, an Indian family whose baby was crying and another lady who wouldn't get down from her table because she was scared of the dirty water. We were already in the water, so we just figured we would keep helping.
Moving in that large amount of water, we lifted flat screen TVs, mattresses, couches, tables, etc. Anything we could carry out, we did. As I was lifting a mattress, I stepped on glass that had broken in the water and I cut my ankle open pretty badly. Luckily, no infection or anything. The sisters took care of me and poured rubbing alcohol all over my ankle ... I held in that scream SO BADLY! It was really painful, BUT WORTH IT, because those poor people needed the help. I don't mind the injury. I had to stay in the apartment with the cut for about 11 hours because we couldn't get out due to the 4 feet of water.
I ended up going to the urgent care around 2 p.m., when the water had cleared enough for the senior missionaries to come and get me. The doctor gave me 9 stitches and a walking boot with some antibiotics to take care of any infection due to the dirty water. It was pretty crazy. I got to watch her stitch me up right after she numbed my ankle. It was cool! But of course, I'm in a TON of pain trying to proselyte and be a missionary while trying to heal at the same time.
We went to the temple Wednesday, May 27 after the flood cleared and they made me wear a white covering on the boot. I didn't even know they had those, but they do! I wore it all throughout the Endowment session. It was pretty funny. I learned a lot during our trip to the temple, I love learning how the Spirit speaks to me and how it teaches me. I'm continuing to grow!
Anyway, it definitely was a crazy week and It didn't even feel like those two days happened, but they did and it was a good experience. The Lord is allowing us to serve hundreds of people in Houston to increase and hasten the work. About 4,000 homes have serious water damage and thousands of cars are ruined. Our car was one of them. It was completely underwater ... He commanded the elements and they listened. But it's okay! I love being here, even through the hard times. At least we have awesome stories to tell.
Love you all,
Sister Sanchez
![]() |
| Showing off my boot! |
| Seven mission cars were destroyed during the Houston floods. |
| Sisters represent at the LDS Texas Houston Temple. |
| No caption needed! |
| "Try to be like the turtle ... at ease in your own shell." ~ Bill Copeland |

The rubbing alcohol must have burned so badly, however, it's a good thing that your sisters cleaned your wound and it didn't get infected from the dirty flood waters. I'm impressed that despite being in a bad flood, your car destroyed and needing nine stitches on your ankle, you kept going.
ReplyDeleteClyde Kurt @ U.S. HealthWorks Stockton (West)