Monday, November 3, 2014

A Soul Has Been Saved

This week was probably one of the best weeks of my life. I have never felt so close to my Savior and my Heavenly Father. I have so much to write, but I will keep it short and to the point. Ha, ha.

So on Tuesday, we were riding our bikes in the POURING rain because Texas has bipolar weather and we were running out of miles. My skirt got stuck in the tire a lot and we were soaked, but it was so fun! I think people notice who we are more when we're riding our bikes. I was riding in front of Hermana Huntsman and I took a left turn and completely slipped and fell right off my bike. In the middle of a four-way stop, with cars all around, IN A SKIRT. Yeah, it was intense. I have a bruise on my leg, but it was hilarious. Hermana Huntsman said I got back up SO fast, she was laughing. We kept cracking up throughout the day thinking of my fall. Ha, ha. #TheStruggle. I compared that experience to the Atonement and how when we fall, He can help us back up. When we're overly confident, or making a big decision in life, like a turn, Satan will try to get us, but when we fall, we just have to get back up as fast as we can, and keep pushing through. My fall taught me a lesson! Crazy, right? 

Halloween didn't really feel like Halloween. We were proselyting during the day and we didn't even remember it was a holiday until later that night when we saw costumes! We had Zone Conference in the morning which was AMAZING. One thing I learned that will stay with me forever is that whenever we feel the Spirit, or the Holy Ghost, it is completely cleansing us from all our sin. In the scriptures, the Spirit is referred to as a fire. So the Spirit literally cleans us from all our sins in the exact moment we feel it. I also learned that the moment we feel the Spirit, we are worthy to stand in the presence of God. We can stand before our Maker and be clean. It is a beautiful thing! God loves us so much he gives us baptism, the Sacrament and the Spirit to clean us. These are three distinct things and two of them can happen repeatedly. Isn't that something!? I didn't realize that until Zone Conference, and it really makes me feel amazing because I know the Spirit is always with me. 

We visited Hermano Chavez on Halloween just to make sure he was set for his baptism on Sunday. He was sitting outside with a bowl of candy waiting for kids. HE LOVES KIDS. It's so precious. He said he was ready for Sunday. Then we taught Adolfo, he's about 20 years old and he told us that he wants to be baptized! Straight up! It was insane! We were like, "THANK YOU HEAVENLY FATHER!" 

We met with another investigator, Joe, on Saturday. He is a friend of Hector Robles and he is interested in the Church! We gave him a Book of Mormon and he said he will read it all by next week! Who says that? Golden investigator!! Pray for him. He needs it!

A couple of weeks ago, we were tracking and we knocked on the door of a less-active member who joined the Church in Guatemala. His name is Alex and he hadn't been to Church in years! We invited him to come back, but he wasn't able to because of work. We committed him to come! 

We committed all these investigators to come to Church and they all said yes! Sunday came around and we made sure Hermano Chavez was ready for his baptism! Hermano Luis, a member, picked him up and we met him at the Church. Then, as we got to Church, guess who was inside? Adolfo and he brought a friend, Jarell! Also, Alex showed up, too! He sat next to me and he loved Church. Then I look to my right and Joe walks through the door! THAT'S FIVE PEOPLE WHO CAME TO CHURCH PEOPLE, FIVE! I was smiling ear to ear and Hermana Huntsman and I were running like madwomen trying to make sure everyone was where they were supposed to be. It was crazy. Kind off like Mackenzie's wedding. Ha, ha. During Sacrament, Elder Hansen, another elder translated Spanish to English for Jarell, Adolfo's friend. And he asked Elder Hansen if he could be baptized next week! He told Adolfo they should do it together and Adolfo said yes! Crazy blessings! We're so excited! 

After Church, we had Hermano Chavez's baptism. It was the most amazing thing in the world. He is 85 years old, so we had two elders in the font with him. Elder Post and Elder McDonald. They only baptized him once and It was so special. Hermano Chavez had no family come to support him, but he went through with it anyways, because he knew it was God's will. This is the man I invited to be baptized on my first day! So amazing. It all happened because it was what Heavenly Father wanted. I am so blessed to have been a part of it! When Hermano Chavez came out of the water, he leaned against the wall and just stayed there. It looked like he was praying, just thanking God that he was clean. I wish you all could meet him. He has changed my life. I played piano at the baptism, which was so fun to to do again. It was just overall such a good day. 

I will remember this day forever. God is so good and He recognizes our efforts to build His kingdom. Never stop sharing the Gospel, there are people who need to hear it. The Mission is great. Everyday I am thankful to be here and thankful I made the decision to serve a Mission. It has changed my life already and I've only been here over a month! Go forth and serve! You don't have to wear a badge to be a missionary. There are people waiting for YOU.

Love you all, 

Hermana Sanchez
Here's our baptism picture with Hermano Chavez

BIKING DAY!

Dad, thought you would appreciate this picture. WASHATERIA!

With Elder Oscar Mendez, his wife and baby boy, mini Elder Mendez. Elder Mendez was a missionary in the old Peralta Branch in San Jose where my dad served as branch president for 6 years. 
Chavez's teaching record with a baptism symbol!
First baptism! 


1 comment: